One of the benefits of having a premium account in Second Life is that you can get a free house. The downside is that you have a limited selection from which to choose.
The upside to owning your own land is that you don’t have to have a premium account to do so.
Today I returned my premium house of 3 or 4 years and bought a piece of land. I then bought and built a log cabin on that land, and moved in. It took a bit of doing as I had to terraform the land, leveling it so the cabin would fit on it properly.
Which brings me to today’s lesson—things to watch for when buying land. It can be tricky, and there are some pitfalls that can snare you if you’re not careful.
First, are you really buying the land? I’ve seen lots (no pun intended) of properties advertised as for sale for $3,000 for 1024 square meters that in reality turn out to be deals where you pay the $3,000 for the “privilege” of paying an additional $850 a week to keep it. So be sure that you’re buying the land free and clear so that you will actually own it. Also be sure to read any covenants that come with the land, as they may also reduce what you can do with it. My property has no covenants, which means I can subdivide it if I wish. I can also sell it if I decide to.
Also check the number of prims you’re allowed to place on the land. My parcel allows 351 prims, and that meant there were a lot of houses I couldn’t consider because they would have exceeded that limit.
Does your house come furnished or unfurnished? Some houses weigh in at, say, 250 prims, but come completely furnished. Others of the same model take up only 50 prims, but you have to provide your own furnishings.
There are several vendors who specialize in low-prim furnishings; look for and patronize them. And don’t ignore your own SL library! Trees, plants, rocks—they’re all there at your fingertips.
A Word About Terraforming
Terraforming is modifying your land to suit your needs. I would advise against it unless you’ve had a lot of experience. If you’re going to do it, remember that there is a “revert” function in case you mess up too badly.
I’ve tried to cover the basics of buying property. If you have any specific questions, drop me a note or leave a comment and I’ll do my best to answer it.
After all, I am a woman, with needs and desires of her own. And this is where I sometimes go to fulfill them.
The Lesbian Teahouse is one such place. It’s always crowded, so it can take a long time for avi’s to fully rez, but it’s worth the wait. In fact, I once enjoyed a lovely relationship I had with someone I once met there. But that’s a story for another day.
The Lesbian Loft is another spot I like to visit. Besides being a great place to meet other women, I’ve often had some very nice existential conversations there. See? It isn’t always about sex…just mostly.
While this is primarily a place to learn about Second Life in general, it’s also another place to meet people. It’s in a G-rated sim, so you don’t have to worry about sex or drugs or rock ‘n roll. Well, maybe not the rock ‘n roll part. No swearing, either. It’s also where you can get many of your questions about the Firestorm Viewer answered.
Oh—not to mention the freebies! Be sure to grab the Garlic Necklace to ward off vampires! No, seriously! It will keep you from being approached by anyone playing the Bloodlines vampire simulation. Which I definitely do not play.
So that’s today’s update. I’ll be following up with more places to visit in my next post. Until then,
Well, not exactly a new body. More of an update/upgrade of the existing one.
Maitreya has upgraded their Lara mesh body from Version 4.5 to Version 5, and it’s resulted in many changes. So many, in fact, that if you’re going to upgrade from 4.5, forget everything you know from that version; 5.o is radically different. Here’s what the official accompanying documentation says:
MAITREYA MESH BODY LARA
Thank you for choosing the Lara mesh body!
The Maitreya Mesh Body – Lara v5.0 is very versatile with many features to help you create your perfect version of “You”
To get the most from your new mesh body, it is highly recommended that you refer to the online documentation for the body.
You can find the documentation here https://sl-maitreya.blogspot.com/p/lara-mesh-body-v5.html
Or in your Lara HUD, in the Misc. tab, just touch HELP/INFO then click the link in the popup menu.
In addition to the online documentation, we are available in world to answer your questions (Contact: Gryphon Ronas) or use the Maitreya Lara Friends group chat.
Gryphon, Marine, Beau, Onyx
Included in the Lara mesh body folder:
– Maitreya Mesh Body – Lara (Version Number)
– Maitreya Mesh Body – Lara (Version Number) Tattoo Layer
– Maitreya Mesh Body – Lara (Version Number) Underwear Layer
– Maitreya Mesh Body – Lara (Version Number) Clothing Layer
– Maitreya Mesh Body – HUD (Version Number)
– Maitreya Mesh Body – BoM Add-On Parts
– Maitreya Mesh Body – BoM Add-On Parts HUD
– Maitreya Mesh Body – Save Stick
– erratic / lara – panty / FATPACK (maitreya)
– erratic / lara – brassiere / FATPACK (maitreya)
– erratic / lara – lingerie set HUD
– Maitreya Mesh Body Lara – Tattoo Layers Skins Glam Affair
– Zaara : Chanchal Lingerie onyx – Maitreya appliers
– Zaara : Chanchal Lingerie System Layers onyx
– Maitreya Tip-Toe FeetShape
– Maitreya Mesh Body – Alpha
The whole idea behind separating the design into multiple layers is to cut down on complexity.
Again, let’s refer to the upgrade notes:
What is added to Lara in V5:
* Two new nipple shapes: hard nipples and puffy.
* Two new foot options: low (for kitten heels) and ballet.
* And the added the ability to have a different foot shape for left and right side.
* Optional HD nipples, highly detailed, ultra realistic textures in 30 skin tones. * 3 material presets on the HUD for the HD Nipples, that can be controlled with the new enhanced materials control sliders.
* 12 new (Glam Affair) skin tones, making a total of 22 skin presets.
* Tattoo (system) layers for the 22 skin tones, to wear in BoM mode.
* Three skin material preset buttons on the HUD
* Three control sliders for the materials settings: Glossiness, intensity and environment.
* The skin materials will also work in BoM mode!
* Bakes on Mesh (BoM) button on the Lara HUD
* BoM add-on parts HUD you can toggle the following parts:
* Layers are separated from the body
* Ability to wear a tattoo on just one arm, hand or foot. 17 different parts on a layer to apply to.
* Rename-able Save Stick to replace save slots
– Additional alpha cuts added to wrists
– Additional alpha cuts added to ankles
* Advanced Functions button added to the Layers and the Skin tabs:
– Full Bright
– Tinting options and a tint reset button
– Material control sliders
* A Misc tab added:
– Redeliver button added
– TP to Store button added
– Delete Scripts redesigned
– Reset to Default button added
– Help/Info button added (Online User Manual)
Ability to apply Materials without applying diffuse (applier kit)
Applier kit to allow for 3rd party HD Nipple Textures
Foot Shape Auto-Select option for shoe designers
Alpha Auto-Hide has been re-designed for improved performance and can now:
be altered by user, even in No Mod items
be deleted by user, even in No Mod items
Optional parameters added to layers kit:
Applying and removing of textures when applier gets attached/detached (RLV friendly)
Updated Zaara texture (applier) lingerie and system layers for BoM are now also included
* Erratic (panties and bra) lingerie set
– Applying a V1 Applier script: fingernail polish would hide the toe nails = Fixed
– Some V4 appliers did not apply to the hands and/or feet (this came from how their notecards were written) = Fixed
– Some older appliers did not apply correctly (bottom would vanish when applying the top and vice-versa) = Fixed
– Some Omega skins did not apply to the hands and/or feet = Fixed
– Neck would not re-appear after hiding all, on alpha hud page = Fixed
– HUD buttons have been made larger for better readability
Sounds confusing, I know! But here’s the only thing you truly need to know about this upgrade:
Go to the Maitreya store
Find the Redelivery Terminal
Click on it for a redelivery
Follow the instructions
That’s it! If you own the 4.5 version, you’ll be delivered the 5.0, so the upgrade won’t cost you anything.
I did the upgrade last night, and while parts of it were confusing (for example, there’s a separate HUD for adding or removing tattoos), I did manage to muddle through it eventually.
Ultimately, if you’re using the Maitreya Lara body, you definitely owe it to yourself to do the upgrade. As your mother used to tell you, “You’ll thank me for this when you’re older.
In a lot of ways I try to keep my Second Life persona as close to my real-life self as possible. The other day I went to the eye doctor for my annual diabetes eye exam, and the results showed that I needed glasses! Not having the best insurance in the world (who does?), I chose a simple, plain pair.
Nothing fancy, as you can see.
But they do take some getting used to.
I keep setting them down and forgetting where I put them. And if you’re a glasses wearer you know the frustration of setting down your glasses, forgetting where you left them, then being unable to find them again because you need the damn things to see!
Now I know what my daddy used to go through when he’d take off his glasses and put them on top of his head (so he’d know where they were) and ten minutes later he’d be asking my mother, “Nancy, have you seen my glasses?”
Is this what Roger Daltrey had in mind when he sang, “Hope I die before I get old”?
Oh, well. I guess it’s time to see if Dorothy Parker knew what she was talking about when she wrote, “Men don’t make passes / At girls who wear glasses.”
Well, here I am again playing catch-up. It’s been a while, but you know how it is: real life sometimes rears its ugly head. Anyway, this is my new friend Eileen Brennan (eileenbrennan in-world). She’s new to SL and hopes to explore all it has to offer, and to write about her adventures for publication.
Her new blog can be found on WordPress. Check it out if you’re interested.
I’ve been pretty bad about updating the blog, and I haven’t checked out any new hair styles lately. But I hope to be all caught up by the middle of the week. Until then,